Today has started the official demolition of the front porch!
Last night we moved some of the things we wanted saved from the front garden area and I snapped a few photos to show you the BEFORE.
We laugh because it boils down to the fact that not all people think alike. We think the front "porch" of mom's house is well, not so pretty. But more importantly, it's not so functional. It faces north and the steps that are quite deep and have NO railing, so it makes for a lovely ice skating rink all winter long!
So, mom decided that since she's "not leaving anything for her kids other than her bills", she wants an actual porch on her house which we know will be awesome!
Here's some before shots.
Notice how the 2 gables meet together right over the steps (remember the house faces NORTH!) where the snow drips and drips and drips from November-March (and then some)!
Last night we moved some of the things we wanted saved from the front garden area and I snapped a few photos to show you the BEFORE.
We laugh because it boils down to the fact that not all people think alike. We think the front "porch" of mom's house is well, not so pretty. But more importantly, it's not so functional. It faces north and the steps that are quite deep and have NO railing, so it makes for a lovely ice skating rink all winter long!
So, mom decided that since she's "not leaving anything for her kids other than her bills", she wants an actual porch on her house which we know will be awesome!
Here's some before shots.
Notice how the 2 gables meet together right over the steps (remember the house faces NORTH!) where the snow drips and drips and drips from November-March (and then some)!

Abby & Brenna are SO excited to be watching the jack-hammer. I think they're kind of bummed we have to leave and go to swim lessons in a few minutes though. They're glued to the window!
Funny overheard conversation between my girls:
Brenna: I don't even know why we're getting new steps Abby.
Abby: Um, it's because the old ones are REALLY ugly!
Their ears work too well and overhear our conversations far too often.

I think I need to go take some Tylenol- it's noisy in here!!!
1 HOUR LATER:
We came home from swim lessons to this:
After parking across the street, we carefully walked up the driveway and snuck in the garage. As I walked by, the guy manning the tractor said that we've got some solid steps there.
I didn't quite know what he meant until I looked from the inside view of this:
they volunteered the "young guy"/home-boy (he might be 18 and his hat is turned 1/4 turn to the side---- not 1/2, but 1/4!) to get on top with the jack-hammer to break it up. I was scared he might fall off, but he did it safe and sound!
The hole out the front door! OUCH!
Abby & Brenna are perched in front of the front window commentating on everything that's happening... it's quite amusing! Abby said that they are using her most favorite tractor ever (didn't know my little girl had a thing for tractors!) and when the guy was lifting up the big rocks, she said "it seemed like he was wanting to show it to me because he stopped right in front of the window, and it was SOOOO cool!"
Oh, the things that entertain us...
STAY TUNED FOR MORE PLAY-BY-PLAY!

3 comments:
Wow- what a mess! But it will be beautiful in the end! Are the hydrangeas safe still????????
Since it is a lot deeper then we thought, and not sure how long it will be there... I think we need to get some plastic and fill it with water and make a pool for the weekend...lol!
Wow, I never realized you had "ugly" steps. Good luck living in the construction zone.
Post a Comment